In this article, we will go deeper into wordpress. The first thing you must know is the the wordpress dashboard. After install wordpress in your hosting or localhost and login as admin, you have the dashboard look like
By default, this is what wordpress give to us. It is not too difficult to learn. But if you think it’s small and cannot do anything, wait to see the real wordpress power.
1. Left menu
The wordpress menu parts, this place help you go to different parts of wordpress. Each part has a unique utility.
2. Content area
For display the content of each menu, we will do everything in this area, create a post or install plugin …
3. Screen Option.
Config the display in content area, we can choose what we want to use. E.g we can choose the WordPress news to display news from wordpress homepage, welcome message, …etc..
4. Admin Quick Bar.
When we sign in a wordpress website, the admin quick bar is displayed in every pages. This menu bar helps us do some important part quickly like add new post, view post ….
The meaning of each tools in wordpress dashboard.
This Dashboard area includes the tools related with the statistics of website or the upgrade of themes, plugin, wordpress core…..
- Home: a report area of your website.
- Update : where we can update themes, plugins, wordpress core of our website.
This is the important part, in this place, we can create and manage our articles. There are two difficult concepts in here: Category and Tags, but I will explain it later.
- All Posts: view, edit or delete our articles.
- Add new: create new article.
- Categories: manage our categories.
- Tags: manage our tags
The management of media in our website (pictures, videos, musics, …normally just images in our article)
- Library: the library contents uploaded files.
- Add new: add new media.
This one is the same with posts area but without categories and tags. This “pages” stores the contents which cannot be filter by category like contact or author.
- All pages: manage all current pages.
- Add new: add new page.
Manage all the comments.
One of the important feature, we can manage our website interface buy using this tools. If you use the default themes, the appearance will contain
- Themes: manage our themes like add, delete, activate,… we can also search wordpress theme online here.
- Customize: where we can custom our theme like changing text, color, images,..
- Widgets: manage the extension widgets. The widget is a feature that we can drag it to the sidebar. E.g my blog has a right sidebar, you can see some widgets in it like google ads, the ultimate posts,..
- Menus: manage the theme menu.
- Editor: we will change the code of theme in here. If you don’t know anything about html, css or code, please leave it.
Plugins is the most greatest feature of wordpress. All the wordpress website need at least one plugin.
- Installed Plugins : manage plugins which we had installed, we can activate, deactivate or delete it.
- Add new : find and install new plugin.
- Editor : like the appearance, where we can change the code of plugin.
We can create users and set permission for each user in wordpress.
- All Users : manage all current users.
- Add new user : create new user.
- Your profile : where we can change our profile or password.
Some wordpress features that we might rarely use.
- Available Tools : see the tools which is currently used in our website.
- Import: import data from another website.
- Export: export wordpress data to xml file for import to another website or for backup.
It controls some basic configuration settings of your site: your title and description, who can register, how the date and time are calculated and displayed.
- General: for config your basic site information.
- Writing: settings for post article.
- Reading: the feature for settings how to read article on your website, use with guests.
- Discussion: change the permission of who can discuss on your website.
- Media: config for the media uploaded file.
- Permalinks: config your website url.
This articles show you an overview about wordpress dashboard. Location, name and function of each areas. If you have any question toward the wordpress dashboard, please let me know in the comment.